Thursday, March 14, 2024

Ruth 4:6 Foolish Plan

 ”And the close relative said, “I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I ruin my own inheritance. You redeem my right of redemption for yourself, for I cannot redeem it.” Ruth‬ ‭4‬:‭6‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


a. I cannot redeem it for myself: Though it would be great to receive the property associated with Ruth, the nearer kinsman knew that taking her into his home and raising up her children would ruinhis own inheritance.


b. Lest I ruin my own inheritance: Probably, the man had grown sons that had already received their inheritance of lands. The problem of dividing that inheritance among future children he would have with Ruth was more than he wanted to deal with.

i. Also, no doubt, the man was married - and knew it would be awkward (at best!) to bring home Ruth as wife number two.


c. You redeem my right of redemption for yourself, for I cannot redeem it: These were glorious words in the ears of Ruth and Naomi. A moment before, all seemed lost when the nearer kinsman had said, “I will redeem it.” But Boaz’s plan had a surprise and an unexpected wisdom to it. And it worked!

i. Some might have thought Boaz’s plan was foolish: to gain Ruth by offering her and her land to the nearer kinsman. How could that work? But the seemingly foolish plan did work. (Guzik)


Foolish Plan

We’ve all been there, made plans and the Lord slammed the door shut. 

Years ago we were considering buying a piece of land and building a home. We prayed about it, put a deposit down on a parcel of property and then had the well checked by an expert. It was over 600’ deep and was only producing 5 gallons a minute. But then the sellers agent disclosed that all the wells in that area were drying up! So we canceled the purchase. That was the Lord slamming the door shut.


Boaz’s plan wasn’t foolish and the Lord just opened the door for him to redeem and marry Ruth.

The difference between a foolish plan and the Lords plan is His approval.

Blessings 




No comments:

Post a Comment