Friday, December 22, 2023

Judges 16:21-22 Sin Has its Wages!

 Then the Philistines took him and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza. They bound him with bronze fetters, and he became a grinder in the prison.“Judges‬ ‭16‬:‭21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


Then the Philistines took him and put out his eyes: “It was fitting that Samson was first blinded in his imprisonment. He was attracted to ungodly relationships through his eyes. His failure to restrain this attraction to women brought him into bondage.”

They bound him with bronze fetters: “Samson didn’t humble himself in obedience before God - he insisted on the “freedom” of doing what he wanted to do. This left him with no freedom at all.” (Guzik)


“There is nothing perhaps in the sacred writings at once more pathetic and tragic than the vision of Samson with his eyes put out, grinding in the prison house of the Philistines. It is a picture and a parable needing no enforcement of exposition to make it powerful.” (Morgan)


“Sin has its wages, and this was Samson’s payday. His sin left him blind, in bondage, and a slave. Before Samson’s blindness, bondage, and slavery were only inward, but they eventually became evident outwardly.” (Guzik)


However, the hair of his head began to grow again after it had been shaven.

‭‭Judges‬ ‭16‬:‭22‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


“I wonder why these Philistines did not take care to keep his hair from growing to any length. If cutting his hair once had proved so effectual, I wonder that they did not send in the barber every morning, to make sure that not a hair grew upon his scalp or chin. But wicked men are not in all matters wise men: indeed, they so conspicuously fail in one point or another that Scripture calls them fools.” (Spurgeon)


“When Samson’s hair began to grow, what did it prophesy? Well, first, it prophesied hope for Samson. I will be bound to say that he put his hand to his head, and felt that it was getting bristly, and then he put his hand to his beard, and found it rough. Yes, yes, yes, it was coming, and he thought within himself, ‘It will be all right soon. I shall not get my eyes back. They will not grow again. I am an awful loser by my sin, but I shall get my strength back again, for my hair is growing. I shall be able to strike a blow for my people and for my God yet.” (Spurgeon)


Sin has its wages!

We all have sin and the Bible tells us:

”If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.“

‭‭I John‬ ‭1‬:‭8‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I believe after studying the Bible cover to cover for years that everyone has an addiction of one type or another. An addiction can be anything that draws your time away from God. It doesn’t have to be drugs or alcohol but can be electronic devices, news, politics social media and much more.


We all need to evaluate our time spent with the Lord and ask ourselves, what will my sin wages be?

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment