Saturday, September 12, 2020

Psalm 23 The Lord Is My Shepherd!

 The LORD Is My Shepherd

(Ezekiel 34:11–24John 10:1–21)

A Psalm of David.

1The LORD is my shepherd;a

I shall not want.

2He makes me lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside quiet waters.

3He restores my soul;

He guides me in the paths of righteousness

for the sake of His name.

4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,b

I will fear no evil,

for You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6Surely goodness and mercy will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD

forever.


Ever have a bad day? Where do you find your comfort?

How about a bad year? What has the year 2020 been like for you?

How about a bad year and a half?


Last year my neighbors husband was hospitalized for several months.

Last fall their family dog died.

Then they adopted a rescue greyhound.

Last spring her husband was hospitalized again for several months and passed away.

Their son has been making trips moving her household to his state but it’s taking longer than time allows.

She put her house up for sale, had a buyer but they backed out on the purchase.

Last Wednesday her greyhound suddenly died of kidney failure.


What sorrows has life thrown at you?  


Look at comments on Psalm 23.


"I like to recall the fact that this Psalm was written by David, probably when he was a king. He had been a shepherd, and he was not ashamed of his former occupation." (Spurgeon)


"It has charmed more griefs to rest than all the philosophy of the world. It has remanded to their dungeon more felon thoughts, more black doubts, more thieving sorrows, than there are sands on the sea-shore. It has comforted the noble host of the poor. It has sung courage to the army of the disappointed. It has poured balm and consolation into the heart of the sick, of captives in dungeons, of widows in their pinching griefs, of orphans in their loneliness. Dying soldiers have died easier as it was read to them; ghastly hospitals have been illuminated; it has visited the prisoner, and broken his chains, and, like Peter's angel, led him forth in imagination, and sung him back to his home again. It has made the dying Christian slave freer than his master, and consoled those whom, dying, he left behind mourning, not so much that he was gone, as because they were left behind, and could not go too." (Beecher, cited in Spurgeon)


My neighbor text’d me that she couldn’t call because she would cry ðŸ˜¢ and informed me her greyhound died.

I text’d her a prayer.

Her response was, “to be prayed for is the ultimate gift to be given”.


Please pray for her and her son.


Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment