Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Genesis 39:7-12 He escaped and ran outside!

Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, 7and after some time his master’s wife cast her eyes on Joseph and said, “Sleep with me.”
8But he refused. “Look,” he said to his master’s wife, “with me here, my master does not concern himself with anything in his house, and he has entrusted everything he owns to my care. 9No one in this house is greater than I am. He has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. So how could I do such a great evil and sin against God?”
10Although Potiphar’s wife spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or be with her. 11One day, however, Joseph went into the house to attend to his work, and not a single household servant was inside. 12She grabbed Joseph by his cloak and said, “Sleep with me!” But leaving his garment in her hand, he escaped and ran outside.

Joseph had it right, “So how could I do such a great evil and sin against God?”
Our society teaches us to seek pleasure at all cost and specifically try’s to separate us from God. 

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a man can commit is outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.
Joseph did what was expected by God, he fled!

“Slavery itself was a small calamity compared with that which would have happened to young Joseph had he been enslaved by wicked passions.” (Spurgeon)

“When I regarded God as a tyrant, I thought sin a trifle; but when I knew him to be my father, then I mourned that I could ever have kicked against him. When I thought that God was hard, I found it easy to sin; but when I found God so kind, so good, so overflowing with compassion, I smote upon my breast to think that I could ever have rebelled against one who loved me so, and sought my good” (Spurgeon).

Do you think of God as a tyrant or as a loving Father? 
Are you enslaved by wicked passions?

Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment