Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Slippery Slope. 1 Timothy 6:10 NLT

I had a history teacher in high school that said two things that impacted my life. The first was in regards to our privilege and responsibility to vote in this country. 
When I turned 18 and registered to vote, it was a presidential election year. I took my responsibility seriously so I watch all the debates and read everything I could find in the newspapers on the candidates. 
On election day I went into the voting booth confident. I have probably only missed a couple of elections since and those were the lower governmental level ones.

The other bit if wisdom this teacher impressed on me was that no matter how much money or stuff you have, you will always want more. I believe that to be true, unless you have Jesus in your life.

Another wise person once told me everything they owned was just stuff and they could walk away from all of it at any time. It all meant nothing to them. I prefer that attitude than the belief it's never enough.

That teacher in high school wasn't wrong. Human desire for more started in the garden. Satan enticed Eve into wanting more, wanting what she shouldn't have, what seemed out of reach. It's the basis of sin. That's what Paul was telling Timothy. Money, wealth and stuff isn't the culprit. It's loving those things, anything more than God. And that is a slippery slope to be on.

1 Timothy 6:10 NLT
10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.


Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment