Thursday, February 15, 2024

Ruth 1:10-13 If we will return to Him in Repentance!

”And they said to her, “Surely we will return with you to your people.” But Naomi said, “Turn back, my daughters; why will you go with me? Are there still sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands? Turn back, my daughters, go—for I am too old to have a husband. If I should say I have hope, if I should have a husband tonight and should also bear sons, would you wait for them till they were grown? Would you restrain yourselves from having husbands? No, my daughters; for it grieves me very much for your sakes that the hand of the Lord has gone out against me!”“ ‭‭Ruth‬ ‭1‬:‭10‬-‭13‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ 

 a. Are there still sons in my womb: According to the laws of ancient Israel, if a young woman was left widowed, without having had a son, then one of her deceased husband’s brothers was responsible for being a “surrogate father” and providing her with a son. Naomi here says that she has no other sons to give either Orpah or Ruth. 

 b. The hand of the LORD has gone out against me: This obviously weighed heavily on Naomi’s heart and mind. She felt that the calamity which came upon her family came because they were disobedient, probably in leaving the Promised Land of Israel and marrying their sons to Moabite women. 

i. Perhaps Naomi felt a particular guilt; perhaps she was the one who pushed to move out of Israel, and who pushed to marry off the sons. 

 c. The hand of the LORD has gone out against me: Despite this feeling, Naomi is going back to the land of Israel - and going back to her God. Though she felt that the hand of the LORD has gone out against me, she did not grow bitter against God. She returned to Him in repentance, knowing that the answer is drawing closer to Him, not going further from Him. What Naomi could not see is that the hand of the LORD would go out for her shortly! There is never reason for us to despair if we believe the hand of the LORD has gone out against me. If we will return to Him, His hand will go out for us again! Naomi had no idea - not the slightest - of how greatly God was going to bless her in a short time. (Guzik) 

 If we will return to Him in Repentance! We have a loving God who sent His Son to take away our sins. All you have to do is repent, accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and believe that Jesus died, rose again for you! 

 I am reminded of this repentance and belief! 

 ”One of the criminals who hung there heaped abuse on Him. “Are You not the Christ?” he said. “Save Yourself and us!” But the other one rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same judgment? We are punished justly, for we are receiving what our actions deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!” And Jesus said to him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”“ ‭‭Luke‬ ‭23‬:‭39‬-‭43‬ ‭BSB‬‬ 

 Notice the order, repentance and belief. 

 Do you need to return to Him in repentance? Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment