Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Judges 17:9-11 Hireling

 ”And Micah said to him, “Where do you come from?” So he said to him, “I am a Levite from Bethlehem in Judah, and I am on my way to find a place to stay.”“

‭‭Judges‬ ‭17‬:‭9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


“Men crave for a priest.... Be my priest; say for me to God what I cannot say. The sacrifices offered by thy hands are more likely to avail with Him than those rendered by mine.” (Meyer)


”Micah said to him, “Dwell with me, and be a father and a priest to me, and I will give you ten shekels of silver per year, a suit of clothes, and your sustenance.” So the Levite went in.“

‭‭Judges‬ ‭17‬:‭10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


So, for ten shekels and a suit of clothes, the Levite hired himself out to the idolatry of Micah. The Levite was a perfect example of a hireling, someone who served God (or an idol) for what it could give him, instead of serving to glorify the LORD.” (Guzik)


”Then the Levite was content to dwell with the man; and the young man became like one of his sons to him.“

‭‭Judges‬ ‭17‬:‭11‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


“Micah was attempting to maintain his relationship with God by violating the commands of God. The Levite degenerated into an attempt to secure his own material comfort by compromise.” (Morgan)


Hireling: One who works solely for compensation, especially a person willing to perform for a fee tasks considered menial or offensive.


Years ago when I was a teenager my grandmother hired me to paint a neighbor’s garage. I didn’t want to do it because it was an oil base paint. But I did it for the compensation. You could say I was a hireling. 😳


The problem with Micah was he was violating the commands of God and the Levite did the same but he also degenerated himself.

When we serve the Lord we need to examine our heart ❤️ and make sure we are doing it for the right reasons.


It’s better to be a reluctant servant of the Lord because we think we are unqualified than to be a servant with alternative motives like prestige, power, title or compensation.

Blessings 




No comments:

Post a Comment