Saturday, November 2, 2019

Exodus 20:17 To Pant After!

17You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, or his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

Covet, to pant after.

“Hebrew hamad, ‘desire’, is in itself a neutral word. It is only when misdirected to that which belongs to another that such ‘desire’ becomes wrong.” (Cole)

Hebrews 13:5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," NASB

Luke 12:15 And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” ESV

Brethren we have to be content with what the Lord has given us. Covetousness is an easy snare from Satan to fall into. I look around and see nice houses on a lake and think how nice it would be! But I’m reminded the Lord has provided for me and given me a place to live and what is said in Hebrews 13:5 I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU.

Father knows best was a television show when I was growing up.
But our Father in heaven knows what is best for us!

I recall our first home which was built during the depression. It had a hand hewn beam in the basement, a sign behind the chimney, no insulation in the walls. 
While renovating I would remind myself of a home that had a dirt floor. The elderly man sold worms for fishing to make ends meet.

Be content with what the Lord has given you, don’t covet (pant after) what someone else has.

I’ve coveted, have you?

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment