Thursday, October 17, 2024

1 Samuel 19:11-12 Sing To The Lord!

 ”Saul also sent messengers to David’s house to watch him and to kill him in the morning. And Michal, David’s wife, told him, saying, “If you do not save your life tonight, tomorrow you will be killed.” So Michal let David down through a window. And he went and fled and escaped.“ I Samuel‬ ‭19‬:‭11‬-‭12‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


a. Saul also sent messengers to David’s house to watch him and to kill him: Previously, Saul swore, “As the LORD lives, he shall not be killed” (1 Samuel 19:6). Now for the second time Saul goes back on that oath.


b. Michal, David’s wife, told him: She saved the day. Michal was Saul’s daughter, so this was a conflict of loyalties for Michal. Should she act in her father’s interests or in her husband’s interests? Here, she made the right choice and supported her husband David.

i. Michal acts according to the principle of Genesis 2:24: Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Though the Genesis passage speaks specifically of the husband it expresses a principle that applies to both partners in a marriage: that the former family loyalties and obligations take a back seat to the loyalty and obligation to the new family.


c. Told him: Michal helped by warning David. She perhaps saw the assassins coming before he did, and she also knew the character of her father better than David did. Michal was probably less surprised than David was to find that her father sent assassins to kill David.

i. David did well to receive this warning from his wife. Sometimes men are so hard-headed and so hard-hearted that they never hear how God might warn them through their wives. If David would have ignored this warning because he didn’t like the source, he might have ended up dead.


d. Michal let David down through a window: As David decided on a course of action, she was there to support and help him put it into practice. Michal’s help was successful, because David fled and escaped.

i. During this night, when men watched his house and David escaped, he composed a song to the LORD found in Psalm 59. The introduction of that Psalm says, when Saul sent men, and they watched the house in order to kill him. In a time of danger David could sing to the LORD. (Guzik)


Sing To The Lord!


”Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; 

Defend me from those who rise up against me. 

Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, 

And save me from bloodthirsty men. 

For look, they lie in wait for my life; 

The mighty gather against me, 

Not for my transgression nor for my sin, O Lord. 

They run and prepare themselves through no fault of mine. 

Awake to help me, and behold! 

You therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, 

Awake to punish all the nations; 

Do not be merciful to any wicked transgressors. 

Selah“ ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭59‬:‭1‬-‭5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


”But I will sing of Your power; 

Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; 

For You have been my defense 

And refuge in the day of my trouble. 

To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises; 

For God is my defense, 

My God of mercy.“

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭59‬:‭16‬-‭17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


It’s hard to sing praises when you are in danger, let David be an example for us!

Life is hard especially when you get older, sing praises that you made it through another day!

Have you ever been in danger and came through it safely while singing to the Lord?

Blessings 




No comments:

Post a Comment