Thursday, October 3, 2024

1 Samuel 18:10 Distressing Spirit

 ”And it happened on the next day that the distressing spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied inside the house. So David played music with his hand, as at other times; but there was a spear in Saul’s hand.“

‭‭I Samuel‬ ‭18‬:‭10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


a. The distressing spirit from God came upon Saul: This distressing spirit was first mentioned in 1 Samuel 16:14. It came upon Saul, permitted by the LORD, when the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul (1 Samuel 16:14). David was brought into Saul’s royal court to play music so that Saul would be ministered to and soothed when suffering from the distressing spirit.


b. And he prophesied inside the house: Why would a distressing spirit make Saul prophesy? Saul wasn’t speaking from the LORD at all, and prophesied is a bad translation here. The Hebrew grammar here can be used of idle ravings as well as of prophecy from the LORD. Saul simply babbled like a man not in his right mind.

i. “He was beside himself; made prayerssupplications, and incoherent imprecations: ‘God preserve my life,’ ‘Destroy my enemies,’ or such like prayers, might frequently escape from him in his agitated state.” (Clarke)


c. So David played music with his hand: The same hands that had killed Goliath and carried the trophy of his severed head now sweetly played music to the LORD, ministering to a troubled king.

i. David obviously had skillful hands, both in war and in music ministry. More remarkable was his humble heart. Most men, after the fame that came to David, would consider this kind of service “beneath” them. David was a general in the army, famous in all Israel, and had women dancing and singing his praises. Yet he faithfully performed this job of personally ministering to Saul in music.


d. But there was a spear in Saul’s hand: David held a harp and played music with his hand. But there was violence in Saul’s hand. (Guzik)


Distressing Spirit

I’m reminded of a Bible verse, prayer that I added to my lock screen. It hadn’t been written yet during the time of king Saul, as it was a Psalm written by David. When I see it on my lock screen I pause, Selah.


Selah is also thought to be rendered from two Hebrew words: s_lah, “to praise”; and s_lal, “to lift up.” Another commentator believes it comes from salah, “to pause.””


”Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.“

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭139‬:‭23‬-‭24‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


Perhaps as Clarke’s commentary says concerning Saul: ‘God preserve my life,’ ‘Destroy my enemies,’ or such like prayers, might frequently escape from him in his agitated state.” (Clarke)


How much better would the world be if we all prayed Psalm 139:23-24?

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment