Thursday, May 7, 2020

Exodus 36:4-7 Sweet Smelling Aroma!

4so that all the skilled craftsmen who were doing all the work on the sanctuary left their work 5and said to Moses, “The people are bringing more than enough for doing the work the LORD has commanded us to do.”
6After Moses had given an order, they sent a proclamation throughout the camp: “No man or woman should make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary.” So the people were restrained from bringing more, 7since what they already had was more than enough to perform all the work.

“When the heart is truly stirred, and the spirit makes willing, giving is robbed of all meanness; indeed, it ceases to be calculating. Nothing is too precious to be given, no amount is too great.” (Morgan)

“Compare the story of the anointing at Bethany (Matthew 26:7), and the generosity of the Philippian church (Philippians 4:14-19).” (Cole)
Let’s compare!

Matthew 26: 7a woman came to Him with an alabaster jar of expensive perfume, which she poured on His head as He reclined at the table.
Philippians 4: 14Nevertheless, you have done well to share in my affliction. 15And as you Philippians know, in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church but you partnered with me in the matter of giving and receiving. 16For even while I was in Thessalonica, you provided for my needs again and again.
17Not that I am seeking a gift, but I am looking for the fruit that may be credited to your account. 18I have all I need and more, now that I have received your gifts from Epaphroditus. They are a sweet smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.
19And my God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

What sticks out to you in the comparison? 
In Matthew, the woman anointed Jesus with a precious bottle of expensive perfume. 
Matthew and Philippians, “They are a sweet smelling aroma”....well-pleasing to God!
But what was striking to me in Matthew was the disciples response, they were indignant!

There has been several times as a member of a church that a fundraiser was performed for a project and the goal was reached or exceeded. 
God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches!

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment