Monday, September 9, 2019

Exodus 14:1-4 A Military Blunder

1Then the LORD said to Moses, 2“Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp before Pi-hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. You are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal-zephon.
3For Pharaoh will say of the Israelites, ‘They are wandering the land in confusion; the wilderness has boxed them in.’ 4And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart so that he will pursue them. But I will gain honor by means of Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD.”
So this is what the Israelites did.

What, you want me to do what Lord?
God wanted the Israelites to look confused, to be wandering so He could set a trap for the pharaoh and his army. He wanted the Israelites to appear to be boxed in, a military blunder!

I remember a story my great aunt told me before she passed, it was about my 2nd great grandfather. He was a courier for a southern general and that made a military blunder. He had encamped his army in the horseshoe bend of a river, the wilderness has boxed them in.
The following morning they arose and were making breakfast when the army of the north blocked their only escape route. I was told the union army general sent a note to the confederate army general stating, “does your mama’s know you are so far away from home?”. A reply was returned that stated, “wait until we finish breakfast and we’ll see who’s mama’s know what!”. I was told when they finished they packed their horses and led a charge through the union lines and not one man was lost.
The blunder was resolved.

‘They are wandering the land in confusion; the wilderness has boxed them in.’
The appearance of a military blunder was a trap so the Lord would gain honor!

We can honor the Lord by trusting Him when He asks us to do something that seems to be a blunder to others.

Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment