Relationship With God? “Now the rest of the acts of Jehu, all that he did, and all his might, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel? So Jehu rested with his fathers, and they buried him in Samaria. Then Jehoahaz his son reigned in his place. And the period that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty-eight years.”
II Kings 10:34-36 NKJV
a. And they buried him in Samaria: Though incomplete in his own goodness, this man was the best of a bad group. Jehu’s goodness was rewarded with a long reign (twenty-eight years).
b. Twenty-eight years: This was a long reign, but notable only at its beginning. Jehu had the energy and influence to truly turn the nation back to God, but his half-commitment to God left that potential unfulfilled and points to a lack of any real relationship with God.
i. “We have no chronicles in which there is any thing further spoken of this bad man. His reign was long, twenty-eight years; and yet we know nothing of it but the commencement.” (Clarke)
ii. “The great lesson to be drawn from this remarkable man’s life is that of being constantly on guard, as servants of God, lest we be found doing His work – whether it be in the exercise of discipline, or the accomplishment of reformation – in a spirit of unbrokenness and without due exercise of heart and conscience between Him who is ‘a God of judgment,’ and by whom ‘actions are weighed.’” (Knapp)
(Guzik)
Relationship With God?
Years ago when my father died a friend had told me, “you are now mortal”. Not understanding what he meant I asked for clarification.
He said that the previous generation is gone and you’re next!
Now that Im in my golden years, I reflect back on my life and examine my relationship with God!
I thank God for His Son Jesus Christ! If there is one thing I could change it would have been seeking God sooner!
I have been born again and because of my relationship with Jesus I know that my home is in heaven.
How is your relationship with God?
Blessings
No comments:
Post a Comment