Saturday, September 7, 2024

1 Samuel 17:11 Whom Shall I Fear?

 ”When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid.“ ‭‭I Samuel‬ ‭17‬:‭11‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


a. They were dismayed and greatly afraid: This was Goliath’s exact intention in issuing the challenge. The reason why he came out with full battle equipment and paraded in front of the Israelite army was that he wanted them to be dismayed and greatly afraid. Goliath defeated the Israelites with fear alone.

i. In any contest, it’s always useful to demoralize your opponent and strike fear into their heart. First, it may keep them from ever going to battle with you because they are so afraid. Second, if it does come to battle they will fight with fear and apprehension and so with your words, you’ve done a lot to win the battle before it even begins. This is a significant strategy of the devil against believers.


b. When Saul…heard these words: Saul had a special reason to be afraid. Goliath was the giant among the Philistines and Saul was head and shoulders taller than other Israelite men (1 Samuel 9:2). Saul was the logical choice to square off against Goliath, and we can expect that others assumed that he should fight Goliath.


c. Dismayed and greatly afraid: As the battle loomed, this was Saul’s state. At one time he was known as a fierce and successful military leader (1 Samuel 14:52). But that was before the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul (1 Samuel 16:14). As the Spirit left Saul so did his courage. (Guzik)


Whom Shall I Fear?


”The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?“ ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭27‬:‭1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


”And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.“

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10‬:‭28‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


The earth is not my home and being in Christ Jesus, I don’t fear death because I know that my last breath on earth will be my first breath in heaven.


If you fear death, please examine your heart condition before Christ Jesus before it’s too late.

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment