Thursday, November 12, 2020

Psalm 23 He is my shepherd!

 Psalm 23 Berean Study Bible

A psalm of David.


1The LORD is my shepherd;a

I shall not want.

2He makes me lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside quiet waters.

3He restores my soul;

He guides me in the paths of righteousness

for the sake of His name.

4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,b

I will fear no evil,

for You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6Surely goodness and mercy will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD

forever.


Footnotes:

1 a See Revelation 7:17.

4 b Or the valley of deep darkness


We live in a dying world because of sin and every one of us goes through dark times at one time or another. 

We are going through one of those dark times in our life. 2020 has been a hard year for everyone. David’s psalm brings me comfort knowing He is my shepherd.


Yes, He is my shepherd!

"The sweetest word of the whole is that monosyllable, 'My.' He does not say, 'The Lord is the shepherd of the world at large, and leadeth forth the multitude as his flock,' but 'The Lord is my shepherd;' if he be a Shepherd to no one else, he is a Shepherd to me; he cares for me, watches over me, and preserves me." (Spurgeon)


Restores my soul!

"'He restoreth my soul.' He restores it to its original purity, that was now grown foul and black with sin; for also, what good were it to have 'green' pastures and a black soul!" (Baker, cited in Spurgeon)


“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death”.

"Death in its substance has been removed, and only the shadow of it remains. Some one has said that when there is a shadow there must be light somewhere, and so there is. Death stands by the side of the highway in which we have to travel, and the light of heaven shining upon him throws a shadow across our path; let us then rejoice that there is a light beyond. Nobody is afraid of a shadow, for a shadow cannot stop a man's pathway even for a moment. The shadow of a dog cannot bite; the shadow of a sword cannot kill; the shadow of death cannot destroy us." (Spurgeon)


“My cup overflows”!

"Beloved, I will ask you now a question. How would it be with you if God had filled your cup in proportion to your faith? How much would you havehad in your cup?" (Spurgeon)


“Goodness and mercy”!

"These twin guardian angels will always be with me at my back and my beck. Just as when great princes go abroad they must not go unattended, so it is with the believer." (Spurgeon)


“And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever”!

"While I am here I will be a child at home with my God; the whole world shall be his house to me; and when I ascend into the upper chamber I shall not change my company, nor even change the house; I shall only go to dwell in the upper storey of the house of the Lord for ever." (Spurgeon)


Please pray for us, pray for our country and pray that all your family will come to know the Lord.

We need to hold on to the prize, the promise of heaven with Jesus Christ because without out it we are nothing, nothing but dust.


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment