Tuesday, September 17, 2024

1 Samuel 17:16-21 Slinked Away in Shame

 ”And the Philistine drew near and presented himself forty days, morning and evening. Then Jesse said to his son David, “Take now for your brothers an ephah of this dried grain and these ten loaves, and run to your brothers at the camp. And carry these ten cheeses to the captain of their thousand, and see how your brothers fare, and bring back news of them.” Now Saul and they and all the men of Israel were in the Valley of Elah, fighting with the Philistines. So David rose early in the morning, left the sheep with a keeper, and took the things and went as Jesse had commanded him. And he came to the camp as the army was going out to the fight and shouting for the battle. For Israel and the Philistines had drawn up in battle array, army against army.“ I Samuel‬ ‭17‬:‭16‬-‭21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


a. And the Philistine drew near and presented himself forty days: Day after day, Goliath taunted and mocked the armies of Israel, exposing them all (and especially Saul) as cowards.


b. Left the sheep with a keeper: This little observation shows the shepherd’s heart of David. If he left the sheep to run an errand for his father he made sure the sheep were still well cared for.


c. And he came to the camp as the army was going out to the fight and shouting for the battle: This must have been the approximate scene for forty days. The armies gathered on each hillside, screaming and shouting at each other across the valley. Goliath made his parade and shouted his insults, and after a while the Israelites slinked away in shame.


Slinked Away in Shame

The people of the world believe Christian’s are hypocrites, because they diligently watch us and can’t wait for us to fall into sin and when we do, they ridicule us so we act like “the Israelites and slinked away in shame”.


The truth is we are all sinners, but as a Christian we are supposed to sin less because we can never achieve a sinless state until we meet Jesus face to face.

I’m reminded what Paul said:


”So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.“

‭‭Romans‬ ‭7‬:‭21‬-‭25‬ ‭BSB‬‬


Don’t slink away in shame, instead repent and ask for forgiveness! 

Because every day is new in Jesus Christ!

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment