Tuesday, July 9, 2024

1 Samuel 12:1-3 Humble Heart!

 ”Now Samuel said to all Israel: “Indeed I have heeded your voice in all that you said to me, and have made a king over you. And now here is the king, walking before you; and I am old and grayheaded, and look, my sons are with you. I have walked before you from my childhood to this day. Here I am. Witness against me before the Lord and before His anointed: Whose ox have I taken, or whose donkey have I taken, or whom have I cheated? Whom have I oppressed, or from whose hand have I received any bribe with which to blind my eyes? I will restore it to you.”“ I Samuel‬ ‭12‬:‭1‬-‭3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


a. Samuel said to all Israel: After the victory of Saul over the Ammonites in 1 Samuel 11, Samuel knew the nation would now begin to look to this king for leadership. Here he helped Israel make the transition from Samuel’s leadership to Saul’s leadership. Samuel made this clear when he said, “now here is the king” and “I am old and grayheaded.” Samuel told Israel that his day was over, and Saul’s day was beginning.

i. It is true that Samuel judged Israel all the days of his life (1 Samuel 7:15), but now that a king was raised up, his role would change and diminish. Samuel never officially “stepped down” from leading Israel as a judge but didn’t allow his shadow to eclipse Saul. Perhaps he knew Saul would have enough trouble on his own and Samuel didn’t want to be accused of subverting Saul’s reign as king.

ii. In this, Samuel showed himself as a truly godly man. He was willing to pass from the scene when God brought up another leader. Samuel did not grasp onto a position when God wanted to change it.


b. Indeed I have heeded your voice in all that you said to me: Samuel wanted it known that it was not his idea to appoint a king over Israel. This idea began in the hearts of Israel, not in the heart and mind of God. God allowed it and directed its execution, but it was the voice of the people that prompted it.


c. My sons are with you: In 1 Samuel 8:1-5, Samuel was challenged to take his sons out of leadership in Israel because they were not godly men. Though it must have been difficult, he did it. The words my sons are with you are proof; Samuel’s sons were simply a part of the assembly of Israel and not “up on the platform” with Samuel.

i. “It is generally agreed that these words intimate [imply] that Samuel had deprived them of their public employ, and reduced them to a level with the common people.” (Clarke)


d. I have walked before you from my childhood to this day: Samuel remembered his humble beginnings as a child, dedicated to the LORD and serving Israel and the LORD at the tabernacle (1 Samuel 2:18, 3:1).

i. I have walked before you is not the idea “I have been on display before you.” Instead, it is the idea of a shepherd walking before his flock, leading it on. Samuel was a godly leader and shepherd for Israel these many years.


e. Witness against me before the LORD: Samuel reminded them that he had not cheated or oppressed or been corrupt in any way. He simply challenged the nation: “If I have wronged you or been corrupt, come forward now and declare it.”

i. Samuel wanted the nation to know that he passed a good legacy of leadership to the new king, Saul. He wanted Israel to recognize that he didn’t hand Saul a mess to clean up. If Saul proved to be a poor leader no one could say it was because of Samuel’s bad example.


f. I will restore it: It seems as if Samuel meant, “I may have wronged someone without knowing it. If that is the case, state it now, so I can make it right. I don’t want to leave any unfinished business.” This testified to Samuel’s humble heart. (Guzik)


Humble Heart


We can all learn by Samuel’s example of a humble heart! 


”if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.“ II Chronicles‬ ‭7‬:‭14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


“There is something naturally humble in true prayer because it recognizes that the answers are not in self and they are in God. God promises something special to humble, praying people.” (Guzik)


Humble ourselves, pray, seek, turn and by doing so He will hear, forgive and heal! 

Please pray for a revival because our land needs healing!

Blessings 




No comments:

Post a Comment